Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Festivities in Korea

Today (December 1st) is my schools 'birthday' and therefore a day off for everybody in my school!


My day started in spectacular fashion as I awoke to a homemade advent calender and little note from the beau. He is quite the wonderful fella. I LOVE advent calenders and this year would have been my first without one (I'm just a child), however I now have the most wonderful of calenders I have seen and I think maybe ever made!





My advent calender- filled with mini twix, snickers and ferrero rocher


I then had to pry myself from the sofa to do some christmas and birthday shopping. Followed by a trip to Jukdo market for veggies to make soups:





Delicious pastry fish, traditionally filled with red bean paste (not so good) and now filled with custard cream (delicious!)
4 fish = 1000W that's 60p


The pathway en route to Jukdo

A food stall in Jukdo selling anything from 'yum yums' to fish sticks- very popular stall here.


A nut stall- fresh or roasted while you wait.

Most things are bulk buy as Koreans usually live with a couple of generations of family.

BULK BUY?!
  If you don't wish to buy in bulk there are pre-weighed fruit and veg in little bowls for various prices.



The fruit and vegetable 'isle'


Halmonee in absolute halmonee dress: baggy patterned pants, crazy colour patterned tops, visor and head scarf.

Traditional Korean ceramics stall.


Seaweed


Fish


Jukdo Market is located in downtown Pohang and is HUGE, you can buy literally EVERYTHING there and spend hours of your day doing so. The fruit and vegetable stalls (I say stalls lightly as most are just little sectioned off floor spaces or some little carts) are usually powered (yes, powered!) by Halmonees (grandmothers) who are pretty much the driving force behind all of Korea. Many of the halmonee's have serious measures of curved spines, in what looks to be the most painful anatomical position imaginable. We have been informed this degeneration in the spinal structure may be a result of cooking from a seated position on the floor as they did not have kitchen work tops previously in Korea.



Napping on the job


However, do not be fooled by their wrinkled little faces for these lines are of experience and I feel each line represents strength. This belief comes from seeing such ladies helping out at building sites, collecting waste- recyclable or other and carrying mass amounts of weight (usually the fruit and veg).




Anywho, back to my main purpose of today. After making many a soup for my school lunches, it was time to......DECORATE FOR CHRISTMAS!!


I have been waiting for this for some time, we are fully stocked with tree decorations and Christmas songs! Here is our little grotto:



Christmassy




Finishing the tree


Hanging the lights in my long johns


Our winter flowers

The finished display!
 Now its time for a Christmassy drink and cake! YUM.
An alleyway off Jukdo with a little old lady  taking a stroll

No comments:

Post a Comment